NEW GARDEN WASTE SERVICE
A new scheme launched on 14 November 2017 by the council means residents can now have their garden waste collected from their home at an introductory offer of just £1 a week.
The optional fortnightly scheme will allow householders to subscribe online for a 240-litre wheeled bin or three hessian sacks to be picked up from the kerbside for a total cost of £52 per year, if they join by Friday the 28 January 2018. After that date, the price will be £60 a year.
“Local people have told us they would like a convenient scheme such as this, offering the choice of having garden waste picked up from their property, instead of having to arrange to take it to the tip,” said Cllr Michael Murwill, Cabinet member for waste management.
“We have listened, taken action and to encourage take-up before Christmas, we have launched it at a great price for a limited period and we hope as many people as possible will join.
“There are many great things about this scheme, especially as approximately 11,000 tonnes of garden waste is generated on the Island every year and we want to collect as much as possible in these special bins and sacks to help the environment.”
Receiving the fortnightly service is easy. Just go to www.iwight.com/Greengardenwaste to fill in some details and click and pay and the service will come to you on your normal recycling week, although it may be on a different day.
The council will accept all garden waste such as leaves, grass cuttings and sticks. Please no logs, rubble or soil.
Early bird subscribers will also be entitled to a free Christmas tree pick up in January, as long as the collection is booked before 19 January. Just make a note of your subscription order number (starting with IW) to use as a voucher number when you book your live Christmas tree pick up. All other Christmas tree collections will be £5.
The scheme, in partnership with Amey, is a ‘one-stop shop’ meaning householders do not have to call for collection each time. However, people can still continue to take garden waste direct to Afton Marsh or Lynnbottom household waste and recycling centres.
In comparison to the paid for requested collection service, this scheme works out much cheaper. Currently on average the collection service costs residents £1.95 per week.
For more info on the scheme, please visit www.iwight.com/Greengardenwaste
• In order to book this, you must sign up to an online iwight account, if you do not have one already, at the following link: https://www.iwight.com/MyAccount/SignUp.aspx with a valid email address.
• If you do not have an email address, call the contact centre on (01983) 823777, with your credit or debit card ready.
• The subscription will run from 1 April to 31 March each year, apart from the initial registration period. Those who sign up before the end of January will receive collections in February and March 2018 for free.
• This means if you make an annual subscription payment between 18 November and 31 March 2018, you will not have to renew your subscription fee until March 2019.
• Early bird subscribers will also be entitled to a free Christmas tree pick up in January, as long as the Christmas tree collection is booked before 19 January. Just make a note of your subscription order number (starting with IW) to use as a voucher number when you book your live Christmas tree collection. All other Christmas tree collections will be £5.